Sept 29, 2017
- Online tickets for the Oct 6 Tranzac show are currently SOLD OUT. There are still tickets available at Rotate This and Soundscapes and some space has been set aside to pay admission at the door.
Aug 8, 2017
- Advance tickets are now available at local record stores! Toronto: Soundscapes and Rotate This Montreal: Cheap Thrills Vancouver: Red Cat and Zulu Records
Aug 8, 2017
- Advance tickets can now be purchased online through these links: Toronto (Oct6 Tranzac), (Oct7 Lee's)Montreal (Oct 8 Divan Orange), (Oct 9 Mini Live & Party)Vancouver (Oct 11 KW Studios)
Aug 6, 2017
- We've added a 5th show! We'll be doing a 2nd show in Montreal on Oct 9. However, only three of the five bands are performing. JYOCHO and Nuito will take a break but Gozen Sanji, o'summer vacation, and KCGirl Drei/Ame to Kanmuri will be performing. Daijiro Nakagawa might do a solo acoustic set if he's in the mood.
Aug 6, 2017
- The original plan was to invite the soon-to-be formed idol group Koutei Camera Girl Drei to Canada for NMFT11. However, Tapestok Records felt October would be too early and suggested we invite the already established sister unit Koutei Camera Gal instead. But pressured by her parents, pataco&pataco of KCGal has decided to move back to her hometown in Iwate. KCGal will perform their final show one week from now on Aug 13, 2017. So Tapestok Records has expedited the auditioning and training process for KCGirl Drei and instead of warming up with a few shows in Japan before possibly coming to Canada next year, their very first live performance will be in Toronto on Oct 6, 2017. And with partner pataco&pataco gone, what happens to ramy t talata? Will she rejoin KCGirl in their new line-up? (both pataco and ramy were originally members of a 6-member version of KCGirl before splitting off to form KCGal) Rumours of ramy t talata aside, original KCGirl member molm'o'mol will be participating in NMFT11 as Tapestok Records staff member, DJ and... opening act! Yes, molm'o'mol will be performing at NMFT11 as her new solo act あめとかんむり (ame to kanmuri).To summarize, Koutei Camera Gal is R.I.P. one week from now but Koutei Camera Girl Drei and ame to kanmuri will be coming to Canada in October as part of the NMFT11 roster.
July 14, 2017
- The Oct 11 show in Vancouver will be held at KW Studios.
July 4, 2017
- NMFT 11 will definitely occur with the following schedule: Oct 6: Toronto @ tba Oct 7: Toronto @ Lee's Palace Oct 8: Montreal @ Divan Orange Oct 11: Vancouver @ tbaThe line-up is technically unofficial, but includes 5 bands including JYOCHO who will make their live performance debut in Toronto. That's correct.. JYOCHO's very first show will be in Canada... not Japan! In addition, there may be 1 or 2 groups from Tapestok Records in the line-up. One group may also be making their live performance debut in Canada without having performed in Japan yet. Gozen Sanji to Taikutsu will be returning to Canada as part of the line-up. Stay tuned for the full line-up.
May 11, 2017
- Online tickets for the Rivoli show on Friday, May 19 are now sold out. Thanks everyone! Some physical tickets remain at Soundscapes and Rotate This. Over 80% of advance tickets for Lee's Palace have also been sold so don't sleep.
May 7, 2017
- Since NMFT vol 3 every show at the Rivoli and then at Soybomb has sold out. Online tickets for the May 19 show are almost all gone (15 left). There are still a decent number of tickets available at Soundscapes and Rotate This. There will still be a chance to buy tickets at the door but the number will be fairly limited. It sucks having to turn away people so if you really want to see the Friday show it would be best not to wait till last minute.
May 5, 2017
- A press kit page was created and can be accessed in the main menu tabs. It has a snazzy press release with lots of great photos that you can download. The body of the press release was written by me while the new media relations co-ordinator for Montreal (Aminah Tran) designed the rest. *applause*
April 9, 2017
- Here is the trailer Rob Perry made for NMFT10.
March 4, 2017
- Advance tickets are now available at the following record stores:
Toronto: Soundscapes and Rotate This
Vancouver: Red Cat on Main, Red Cat on Hastings and Zulu RecordsTickets will be available in Montreal at Cheap Thrills ~March 9.
February 26, 2017
- Facebook event pages are up now up:
May 19 Toronto @ Rivoli
May 20 Toronto @ Lee's Palace
May 22 Montreal @ Divan Orange
May 24 Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret
It would be great if you could help by letting us know you're attending and especially by sharing the event page link on Facebook and Twitter! Thanks in advance!
February 20, 2017
- Advance tickets are available online:
May 19 Toronto @ Rivoli
May 20 Toronto @ Lee's Palace
May 22 Montreal @ Divan Orange
May 24 Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret
February 10, 2017
- NMFT10 was supposed to have an All-star cast but instead I went in the other direction. No big name bands like Zazen Boys or Kinoko Teikoku but this 'no-name' line-up of diamonds in the rough will surprise you with their awesomeness:
The Taupe, Yukueshirezutsurezure, Yubisaki Nohaku, Bakyun the everyday, HyaccaThe schedule is:
May 19 (Fri): Toronto @ The Rivoli
May 20 (Sat): Toronto @ Lee's Palace
May 22 (Mon): Montreal @ Divan Orange
May 24 (Wed): Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret
July 21, 2016
- The line-up for NMFT9 is officially set:
Maison Book Girl, Hitsuji Bungaku, THIS IS JAPAN, and Toranoko Rammy.
(Unfortunately skillkills can no longer participate in October but look for them on an NMFT tour in the near future)The schedule is:
October 5 (Wed): Montreal @ Divan Orange
October 7 (Fri): Toronto @ Soybomb
October 8 (Sat): Toronto @ Lee's Palace
October 10 (Mon): Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret I will try to move the Vancouver show to Oct 11 to avoid Thanksgivings Day but most likely the show will have to remain on October 10.
May 13, 2016
- Tickets sales have been amazing.
Soundscapes and ticketweb.ca are SOLD OUT of tickets for the Toronto show @Soybomb.
As of today some advance tickets are still available at Rotate This.
****note: Tickets will still be available at the door on the night of the show but arrive early before completely sold out.Zulu Records in Vancouver is SOLD OUT of advance tickets. Some should still be available at Red Cat Records but expected to sell out soon.
May 3, 2016
- BIG NEWS!! You won't have to wait an entire year for the next tour!
NMFT vol 9 will happen Oct 7-12, 2016.
Not official yet but Maison Book Girl, skillkills and THIS IS JAPAN are expected to be on the roster.
March 9, 2016
- Tickets for NMFT vol 8 are now available online and at record stores:
Toronto: Soundscapes and Rotate This; Online: May 20 (Soybomb), May 21 (Lee's Palace)
Montreal: Cheap Thrills; Online: ticketweb
Vancouver: Red Cat and Zulu Records; Online: ticketweb
June 10, 2015
- 3.5 of the five bands arrived today and we had a group dinner at a Korean restaurant. LOL. Need to work the bands slowly into Canadian cuisine which is somewhat of a nebulous entity. Anyhow I think poutine the first day would have been too much of a culture shock. :) Lots of press on the tour on this day.
Some love from the Georgia Straight!
Nationwide coverage via the National Post.
Support from the Japanese community in Toronto via Bento Box and in Vancity via Life Vancouver. who continued the tradition of spelling my name wrong. :)
June 8, 2015
- This article really captures the essence of what the NMFT tour is about and why I'm so passionate about it.
As a news weekly Maclean's is Canada's version of Time magazine. (Though folks in Toronto probably feel that Time magazine is the US version of Maclean's. LOL) So it's a considerable milestone and I'm glad that Japanese indie/underground music is getting a boost in exposure Canada-wide. Huge thanks to Luc Rinaldi for writing such an elegant and engaging article that gives great insight into the history and process behind the tour!
April 23, 2015
- Advance tickets are available at the following local record stores:
Toronto: Soundscapes and Rotate This
Montreal: Cheap Thrills
Vancouver: Red Cat and Zulu Records
April 12, 2015
- Atlantis Airport are officially part of the NMFT7 line-up.
March 4, 2015
- Unfortunately Ame no Parade will no longer be able to participate in NMFT7.
Instead Owarikara who took part in vol 1 will be returning to Canada along with mothercoat.
The line up will consists of the following bands:
March 1, 2015
- Next Music from Tokyo vol 7 will definitely be happening in June 2015 with the following schedule:June 12 Toronto @ tba
June 13 Toronto @ Lee's Palace
June 15 Montreal @ Divan Orange
June 17 Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret
May 5, 2014
- Tickets for the Montreal show are now available at Cheap Thrills.
- Only 5 tickets left online for the May 16 show and whatever's left at Soundscapes/Rotate This.
May 1, 2014
- The last five shows at the Rivoli have sold out and tickets to the May 16 show are disappearing quick. Less than 40 tickets remain and we might not be able to sell extra tickets at the door.
April 30, 2014
- New contest giving away T-shirts, CDs and lots of other cool stuff. Details here.
April 7, 2014
- For tumblr users there is a ticket giveaway contest going on here.
Keep checking the site for updates and more contests where we'll give away T-shirts and CDs.
April 1, 2014
- Unfortunately, due to a family tragedy I will be forced to cancel the tour in May..... April Fools!!
Don't fret, the NMFT6 is still on and Rob Perry has created another great trailer for us:
March 18, 2014
- Facebook event pages are up for all four shows: Toronto May 16, Toronto May 17, Montreal May 19 and Vancouver May 21. Posters and print ads are a thing of the past. Word of mouth and social media are the keys to getting the word out to potential concert-goers.
So if you've enjoyed our shows and would like to help our cause, one of the most useful avenues is to simply support the facebook event pages, tweet about the shows or even write comments on the bands' videos on youtube. Every little bit helps. Thanks!
March 13, 2014
- Advance tickets are available online!
Toronto May 16, Toronto May 17, Montreal May 19, Vancouver May 21
March 12, 2014
- As a last minute addition to the line-up nayuta (from Osaka) will be joining the roster for the Toronto and Montreal shows. And local Vancouver band Sprïng (ex-SSRIs) will join us May 21 at the Biltmore.
August 27, 2013
- Optimistically the plan is to hold the tour twice every year in May and October. Unfortunately, for financial reasons and for not securing an NMFT worthy line-up of bands in time, I'm postponing NMFT6 until May 2014. The line-up is looking awesome already but isn't finalized yet and input/recommendatuions from fans is welcomed.
March 29, 2013
- Advance tickets for the Vancouver show are finally available online via ticketweb.ca: here.
March 12, 2013
- Advance tickets are now available online via ticketweb.ca: Toronto May 17, Toronto May 18, Montreal May 20.
March 4, 2013
- The bands section has been updated to feature the four bands participating in NMFT5.
Advance tickets will be made available in roughly one week.
Feb 14, 2013
- The line-up for NMFT vol 5 is: mouse on the keys, きのこ帝国 (kinoko teikoku), チーナ (chi-na), and ハラフロムヘル (harafromhell). The contents of the website will be updated over the next few days with info about the tour and bands.
Feb 9, 2012
- NMFT vol 4 is officially slated for May 2012. Only the home page of this website has been updated thusfar but I'll gradually work on updating the rest so as not to confuse people with info connected to the previous tour. Zazen Boys, group_inou and Charan Po Rantan make up the all-star line-up thusfar with one more spot on the roster to be filled a.s.a.p.
Sept 11, 2011
- Ryotaro Aoki (Kulu Kulu Garden) has filmed and edited a heart-stopping promo video for the NMFT 3 tour: Thanks to Ryotaro and Vish (who created the animated titles) for all their hard work. The video F%CKIN' ROCKS!!
- Event pages have been created for the Montreal and Vancouver shows. Please help spread word about the tour by sharing the links and inviting friends.
July 21, 2011
- The schedule for NMFT 3 has been finalized: Oct 13 Montreal @ Divan Orange Oct 14 Montreal @ Club Lambi Oct 15 Toronto @ the Rivoli Oct 16 Toronto @ Velvet Underground (All Ages) Oct 18 Vancouver @ the Biltmore CabaretLocal band the SSRIs will be joining us in Vancouver and Devil Eyes will be playing one of the shows in Montreal.
April 20, 2011
- The line-up for NMFT vol 3 has been officially confirmed: 1. NATSUMEN 2. Merpeoples 3. チーナ (chiina) 4. 百蚊 (hyacca)
Jan 10, 2010
- Unfortunately, there will not be a tour in May 2011. I'll explain in more detail in a post later today.
Oct 13, 2010
- Someone from RJZTV has contacted me about streaming the Vancouver concert live over the internet on his site. I'm okay with the idea but I need to confirm with the bands. MOTFD who are signed to EMI may have an issue. MOTFD will play last, so a compromise may be streaming the concert up until they go on (that's assuming the other bands are okay with it.)
- The Timetable for the Oct 14 show at Biltmore Cabaret is as follows:
- 9:00 - 9:40 pm susquatch 10:00 -10:40 pm sgt. 11:00 - 11:40 pm uhnellys 12:00 - 12:40 am MOTFD
Sept 29, 2010
- Hear Japan is helping us promote the tour by offering a free 5-song sampler of music by sgt., susquatch and uhnellys. You can download the sampler here.
- Vancouver electronic music and design artist Vincent Parker has created a poster specific for the Oct 14 show at Biltmore Cabaret. (It looks great!)
- Although I have no affiliation with Live From Tokyo, we appear to share a common goal in helping more people discover Tokyo's fascinating independent music scene. They have filmed a documentary about Tokyo's indie/underground music culture and from the looks of the trailer they did an excellent job on choosing which bands to showcase/interview. It highlights the incredibly creative and eclectic nature of Japanese underground music and the artists' struggle to perservere in a dying industry. The documentary makes its world premiere in New York on Oct 29,2010. (I would fly out there just to watch this! but I'd have to take the day off work to make it in time for the screening.) For more information, go to http://www.livefromtokyo.net/
Sept 20, 2010
- Ticket prices have been lowered for the Vancouver and Montreal shows to $10 at the door or in advance. People who have ordered tickets already before the price change will receive some money back at the show.
Aug 29, 2010
- The Montreal show on Oct 19 will be co-hosted by local psyche/noise band Devil Eyes. They will be performing a set that night so you're guaranteed at least one decent band... haha. j/k! All 5 bands will kick your ass on the 19th!!!
- Congrats to MOTFD who had massively successful gigs in Taiwan last week performing alongside Shonen Knife and Bloodthirsty Butchers. Photos
Aug 20, 2010
- The Saturday, Oct 16 show in Toronto will be held at the Rivoli. It will be held in conjunction with Toronto's Indie Week music festival. We have yet to work out the specific arrangements but those planning on atttending should periodically check this website for updates regarding start / end times, ticket prices etc.
Aug 12, 2010
- The tour was actually cancelled temporarily due to abnormally high airfare costs but a slight shuffling of tour dates has brought the cost down enough for us to continue on.
- Oct 14: Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret
- Oct 17: Toronto @ the Velvet Underground
- Oct 19: Montreal @ Club Lambi
- working on getting a 2nd Toronto gig for Oct 16
- the tour info section will be updated soon
Aug 4, 2010
- Good Lord. Has it been that long since I updated this section? Well if it isn't obvious by now, there will be a new NMFT tour in October. There are 3 shows for sure but I intend to add 1-2 more. I'd like to have all-ages shows in Toronto and Vancouver if possible (sorry Montreal, but at least legal age is 18+ there. Just bring realistic f_ke ID. haha.) Some sections of this website still includes dated info from the 1st tour. I'll try my best to update the entire site as quickly as I can. Oh and feel free to spread word about the tour b/c itis offically on! You can preview as many Youtube clips and mp3s you want but trust me when I say that actually watching MOTFD, Sgt, uhnellys and susquatch play live is guaranteed to be an awe-inspiring experience. None of their CDs and Youtube clips do their live performances justice. I do my best to pick bands that are outstanding live performers and this tour will be a sureshot grand slam.
May 8, 2010
- A 3-song sampler featuring music by mothercoat, goomi and Kulu Kulu Garden is available for FREE download via Hear Japan Check out the rest of the Hear Japan site for other great music as they're trying their best to make Japanese music (DRM free!) affordibly accessible to the rest of the world.
Apr 15, 2010
- WOW! I had no idea that Denise had interviewed Kulu Kulu Garden until my friend Quynh clued me in. It was a complete surprise and tremendously fun read. Great interview @ anusaya
- And continuing with the theme of KKG keeping their promoter in the dark... =) Kulu Kulu Garden have uploaded a couple of Youtube clips from a recent acoustic performance. シャボン玉 and 森のくまさん It's great seeing members of Kulu Kulu Garden, goomi and OWARIKARA in collaboration outside the tour.
- A free sampler with songs by goomi, mothercoat and Kulu Kulu Garden will soon be available for download thanks to Nathan and his fantastic (DRM free!) digital music site: Hear Japan. Nathan is a truly admirable guy who does his best to promote Japanese music around the world. You can read more about him in an interview at nipponrock. Support Hear Japan!
- One of the reasons OWARIKARA could not contribute a song to Hear Japan's free sampler is because they are close to signing with a major label (Sony vs Victor). I wasn't kidding when I said they are one of the hottest underground acts around. CONGRATULATIONS to one of the hardest working bands in the biz. I guess you won't be an "indie" band for much longer but I'm glad you guys can make a living doing what you love. Just make sure the music stays the same!
- A very big THANK YOU to Yukiko Tsutsui of radio show Japanese Musicquest for interviewing and playing the music of mothercoat and Kulu Kulu Garden. If anyone's interested I could post audio from the interview/show later.
Apr 3, 2010
- Much thanks to Denise for interviewing the bands and myself for her excellent music site anusaya.com. Her site covers independent music from around the world. link to interview
Mar 29, 2010
- Advance tickets are now available for both Toronto shows via ticketweb.ca
Mar 13, 2010
- Advance tickets for the Montreal show are now available through ticketweb.ca
- The May 29 show in Toronto will likely be held at Whipper Snapper Gallery/ If so, it will be an all-ages show.
Mar 10, 2010
- Tickets to all shows will be available online through ticketweb.ca. Tickets for the Vancouver show go on sale tomorrow (Mar 11) at noon. Tickets for the Montreal and Toronto shows to follow shortly.
- New blog entry discussing PRIZES to be given away during each show on the tour.
- andymori's band profile changed for the 2nd time as the previous awkward "Engrish" grammar was driving me to drink.
- video spotlight on home page changed to mothercoat's great PV "Curly Mush"
Mar 4, 2010
- The Myspace page has been updated by the bands with more songs by goomi and Kulu Kulu Garden. Goomi has even included a brand new song called "Paranoid Park" (inspired by the film directed by Gus Van Sant). The track sounds absolutely sublime. In fact, great selection of songs by all the bands!
- I am in the process of setting up an account with ticketweb.ca so that tickets can be purchased in advance online. Tickets will also be made available in Vancouver through local record stores Zulu and Redcat. It will take 1-2 weeks before tickets are printed, delivered and made available at these stores.
Mar 2, 2010
- Discography sections added to band profiles
- A Next Music from TOKYO!!! Myspace page has been created by mothercoat's Toki and will be updated by members of the bands on tour.
- Tour finale in Tokyo, Japan announced and scheduled for July 9, 2010 @ Shibuya O-Nest.
Feb 26, 2010
- The tour schedule has been finalized in terms of the cities involved: Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto.
- Venue for the 2nd gig in Toronto on May 29 has yet to be decided.
- New blog entry: DIY, fan-driven and interactive!!