NEWS & UPDATES
August 27, 2013
- Optimistically the plan is to hold the tour twice every year in May and October. Unfortunately, for financial reasons and for not securing an NMFT worthy line-up of bands in time, I’m postponing NMFT6 until May 2014. The line-up is looking awesome already but isn’t finalized yet and input/recommendatuions from fans is welcomed.
March 29, 2013
- Advance tickets for the Vancouver show are finally available online via ticketweb.ca: here.
March 12, 2013
- Advance tickets are now available online via ticketweb.ca: Toronto May 17, Toronto May 18, Montreal May 20.
March 4, 2013
- The bands section has been updated to feature the four bands participating in NMFT5.
Advance tickets will be made available in roughly one week.
Feb 14, 2013
- The line-up for NMFT vol 5 is: mouse on the keys, きのこ帝国 (kinoko teikoku), チーナ (chi-na), and ハラフロムヘル (harafromhell). The contents of the website will be updated over the next few days with info about the tour and bands.
Feb 9, 2012
- NMFT vol 4 is officially slated for May 2012. Only the home page of this website has been updated thusfar but I’ll gradually work on updating the rest so as not to confuse people with info connected to the previous tour.
Zazen Boys, group_inou and Charan Po Rantan make up the all-star line-up thusfar with one more spot on the roster to be filled a.s.a.p.
Sept 11, 2011
- Ryotaro Aoki (Kulu Kulu Garden) has filmed and edited a heart-stopping promo video for the NMFT 3 tour:
Thanks to Ryotaro and Vish (who created the animated titles) for all their hard work. The video F%CKIN’ ROCKS!!
- Event pages have been created for the Montreal and Vancouver shows. Please help spread word about the tour by sharing the links and inviting friends.
July 21, 2011
- The schedule for NMFT 3 has been finalized:
Oct 13 Montreal @ Divan Orange
Oct 14 Montreal @ Club Lambi
Oct 15 Toronto @ the Rivoli
Oct 16 Toronto @ Velvet Underground (All Ages)
Oct 18 Vancouver @ the Biltmore Cabaret
Local band the SSRIs will be joining us in Vancouver and Devil Eyes will be playing one of the shows in Montreal.
April 20, 2011
- The line-up for NMFT vol 3 has been officially confirmed:
3. チーナ (chiina)
4. 百蚊 (hyacca)
Jan 10, 2010
- Unfortunately, there will not be a tour in May 2011. I’ll explain in more detail in a post later today.
Oct 13, 2010
- Someone from RJZTV has contacted me about streaming the Vancouver concert live over the internet on his site. I’m okay with the idea but I need to confirm with the bands. MOTFD who are signed to EMI may have an issue. MOTFD will play last, so a compromise may be streaming the concert up until they go on (that’s assuming the other bands are okay with it.)
- The Timetable for the Oct 14 show at Biltmore Cabaret is as follows:
9:00 – 9:40 pm susquatch
10:00 -10:40 pm sgt.
11:00 – 11:40 pm uhnellys
12:00 – 12:40 am MOTFD
Sept 29, 2010
- Hear Japan is helping us promote the tour by offering a free 5-song sampler of music by sgt., susquatch and uhnellys. You can download the sampler here.
- Vancouver electronic music and design artist Vincent Parker has created a poster specific for the Oct 14 show at Biltmore Cabaret. (It looks great!)
- Although I have no affiliation with Live From Tokyo, we appear to share a common goal in helping more people discover Tokyo’s fascinating independent music scene.
They have filmed a documentary about Tokyo’s indie/underground music culture and from the looks of the trailer they did an excellent job on choosing which bands to showcase/interview.
It highlights the incredibly creative and eclectic nature of Japanese underground music and the artists’ struggle to perservere in a dying industry.
The documentary makes its world premiere in New York on Oct 29,2010. (I would fly out there just to watch this! but I’d have to take the day off work to make it in time for the screening.)
For more information, go to http://www.livefromtokyo.net/
Sept 20, 2010
- Ticket prices have been lowered for the Vancouver and Montreal shows to $10 at the door or in advance. People who have ordered tickets already before the price change will receive some money back at the show.
Aug 29, 2010
- The Montreal show on Oct 19 will be co-hosted by local psyche/noise band Devil Eyes. They will be performing a set that night so you’re guaranteed at least one decent band… haha. j/k!
All 5 bands will kick your ass on the 19th!!!
- Congrats to MOTFD who had massively successful gigs in Taiwan last week performing alongside Shonen Knife and Bloodthirsty Butchers.
Aug 20, 2010
- The Saturday, Oct 16 show in Toronto will be held at the Rivoli. It will be held in conjunction with Toronto’s Indie Week music festival. We have yet to work out the specific arrangements but those planning on atttending should periodically check this website for updates regarding start / end times, ticket prices etc.
Aug 12, 2010
- The tour was actually cancelled temporarily due to abnormally high airfare costs but a slight shuffling of tour dates has brought the cost down enough for us to continue on.
- Oct 14: Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret
- Oct 17: Toronto @ the Velvet Underground
- Oct 19: Montreal @ Club Lambi
- working on getting a 2nd Toronto gig for Oct 16
- the tour info section will be updated soon
Aug 4, 2010
- Good Lord. Has it been that long since I updated this section? Well if it isn’t obvious by now, there will be a new NMFT tour in October.
There are 3 shows for sure but I intend to add 1-2 more. I’d like to have all-ages shows in Toronto and Vancouver if possible (sorry Montreal, but at least legal age is 18+ there. Just bring realistic f_ke ID. haha.)
Some sections of this website still includes dated info from the 1st tour. I’ll try my best to update the entire site as quickly as I can.
Oh and feel free to spread word about the tour b/c itis offically on!
You can preview as many Youtube clips and mp3s you want but trust me when I say that actually watching MOTFD, Sgt, uhnellys and susquatch play live is guaranteed to be an awe-inspiring experience.
None of their CDs and Youtube clips do their live performances justice. I do my best to pick bands that are outstanding live performers and this tour will be a sureshot grand slam.
May 8, 2010
- A 3-song sampler featuring music by mothercoat, goomi and Kulu Kulu Garden is available for FREE download via Hear Japan
Check out the rest of the Hear Japan site for other great music as they’re trying their best to make Japanese music (DRM free!) affordibly accessible to the rest of the world.
Apr 15, 2010
- WOW! I had no idea that Denise had interviewed Kulu Kulu Garden until my friend Quynh clued me in. It was a complete surprise and tremendously fun read.
Great interview @ anusaya
- And continuing with the theme of KKG keeping their promoter in the dark… =)
Kulu Kulu Garden have uploaded a couple of Youtube clips from a recent acoustic performance. シャボン玉 and 森のくまさん It’s great seeing members of Kulu Kulu Garden, goomi and OWARIKARA in collaboration outside the tour.
- A free sampler with songs by goomi, mothercoat and Kulu Kulu Garden will soon be available for download thanks to Nathan and his fantastic (DRM free!) digital music site: Hear Japan. Nathan is a truly admirable guy who does his best to promote Japanese music around the world. You can read more about him in an interview at nipponrock. Support Hear Japan!
- One of the reasons OWARIKARA could not contribute a song to Hear Japan’s free sampler is because they are close to signing with a major label (Sony vs Victor).
I wasn’t kidding when I said they are one of the hottest underground acts around. CONGRATULATIONS to one of the hardest working bands in the biz. I guess you won’t be an “indie” band for much longer but I’m glad you guys can make a living doing what you love. Just make sure the music stays the same!
- A very big THANK YOU to Yukiko Tsutsui of radio show Japanese Musicquest for interviewing and playing the music of mothercoat and Kulu Kulu Garden. If anyone’s interested I could post audio from the interview/show later.
Apr 3, 2010
- Much thanks to Denise for interviewing the bands and myself for her excellent music site anusaya.com. Her site covers independent music from around the world. link to interview
Mar 29, 2010
- Advance tickets are now available for both Toronto shows via ticketweb.ca
Mar 13, 2010
- Advance tickets for the Montreal show are now available through ticketweb.ca
- The May 29 show in Toronto will likely be held at Whipper Snapper Gallery/ If so, it will be an all-ages show.
Mar 10, 2010
- Tickets to all shows will be available online through ticketweb.ca. Tickets for the Vancouver show go on sale tomorrow (Mar 11) at noon. Tickets for the Montreal and Toronto shows to follow shortly.
- New blog entry discussing PRIZES to be given away during each show on the tour.
- andymori’s band profile changed for the 2nd time as the previous awkward “Engrish” grammar was driving me to drink.
- video spotlight on home page changed to mothercoat’s great PV “Curly Mush”
Mar 4, 2010
- The Myspace page has been updated by the bands with more songs by goomi and Kulu Kulu Garden. Goomi has even included a brand new song called “Paranoid Park” (inspired by the film directed by Gus Van Sant). The track sounds absolutely sublime. In fact, great selection of songs by all the bands!
- I am in the process of setting up an account with ticketweb.ca so that tickets can be purchased in advance online.
Tickets will also be made available in Vancouver through local record stores Zulu and Redcat. It will take 1-2 weeks before tickets are printed, delivered and made available at these stores.
Mar 2, 2010
- Discography sections added to band profiles
- A Next Music from TOKYO!!! Myspace page has been created by mothercoat’s Toki and will be updated by members of the bands on tour.
- Tour finale in Tokyo, Japan announced and scheduled for July 9, 2010 @ Shibuya O-Nest.
Feb 26, 2010
- The tour schedule has been finalized in terms of the cities involved: Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto.
- Venue for the 2nd gig in Toronto on May 29 has yet to be decided.
- New blog entry: DIY, fan-driven and interactive!!